(Senior) Portfolio Analyst Energy
FMO – your preferred partner to invest in local prosperity
By reaching out to underserved markets, FMO invests in some of the world’s most challenging business environments. The countries that we work in often have a fragile private sector, little job security and high poverty rates. Through FMO’s focus on investing in countries’ financial, energy and agribusiness sectors, FMO believes it can have maximum impact to empower the entrepreneurs in developing and emerging countries. FMO has aligned its strategy with the Sustainable Development Goals, thereby positioning FMO to deliver for the future. This strategy aims to raise FMO’s impact, deepen its relationships with clients and stakeholders, and enhance its ability to deliver quality at speed. In this way, FMO will be the preferred partner to invest in local prosperity. FMO has a banking license and is being supervised by the Dutch Central Bank.
FMO has 3 strategic sectors: energy, agribusiness and financial institutions. Within Energy, there is a strong focus on renewable energy (solar, wind and hydro power). FMO is an important player in the energy sector in emerging markets demonstrated by an increasing number of mandated lead arranger roles whereby FMO is acting also on behalf of other lenders to finance power projects.
The Energy department has been a front-runner in implementing the sustainability framework within FMO and has shown to be innovative while exploring new subsectors such as off-grid energy solutions. The department focusses on senior debt and mezzanine finance. We maintain close relations with the (energy) colleagues from the Private Equity department. FMO aims to build a substantial portfolio of sustainable investments that realize steady and market-driven returns. The total Energy portfolio amounts to approximately EUR 2.5 billion. Annual new commitments amount to around EUR 400 million.
The Eastern and Southern Africa team comprises of 10 professionals: 1 manager, 4 (senior) investment officers, 2 associates, 2 (senior) portfolio analysts including this vacancy and 1 secretary. The team is supported by a pool of insurance, compliance, environmental & social officers.
We are looking for an enthusiastic (Senior) Portfolio Analyst who will monitor a portfolio of clients through desk research and site visits and support the execution of new transactions in the Eastern and Southern region of Africa. Specific tasks include:
- Analysing operational and financial data of mainly existing and new clients (e.g. financial performance, compliance with covenants, assessment of forecasts, etc.);
- Writing reports and managing internal processes related to monitoring the performance of existing clients (annual reviews, change requests, waivers, etc);
- Preparing market and financial analyses of clients, sectors and countries;
- Contributing to writing of clearance in principal and finance proposals;
- Keeping track of progress from initial proposal to the monitoring phase;
- Occasionally participating in client visits when requested;
- Building relationships with these clients on an operational working level.
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, business administration or engineering;
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years working experience of which at least 3 years in financial analysis and/or portfolio analysis of project finance transactions;
- Working experience in an international environment and/or in emerging markets is a plus.
- Strong analytical and risk assessment skills, including financial modelling skills;
- Ability to recognise and develop commercial leads;
- Displays a strong service and client orientation;
- Strong team player;
- Good networking skills;
- Pro-active work attitude and 'can do', solution-oriented attitude;
- Entrepreneurial and at the same time risk aware when needed;
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
What's in it for you?
Besides a competitive salary and secondary benefits, we offer you a job on global scale in a challenging environment. A professional career and all the support you will need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all we offer a truly unique opportunity to make a difference for those who need it most.
Good to know
We will only consider applications submitted via the website in English and accompanied with a motivation letter.
For further information, please contact Jolanda Breur , e-mail email@example.com.