Senior Legal Counsel
FMO is the Dutch development bank. We believe in a world in 2050 in which nine billion people live well and within the planet's resources. In pursuit of this vision, FMO finances entrepreneurs from developing countries because we believe a thriving private sector fuels economic and social progress. Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to build a better world. FMO is more than a bank.
FMO offers financing, contributes capital, shares knowledge and forms partnerships with banks and companies in emerging markets all over the world. FMO’s legal counsels deal with approximately 200 transactions a year and play a crucial role to ‘protect and enable’ FMO’s business. The Legal Affairs & Compliance department consists of two teams of legal counsels. For one of these teams, we are looking for a full-time or part-time (at least 80%) senior legal counsel. The team advises and negotiates private equity transactions, funds management as well as lending to financial institutions, and provides support to FMO’s treasury and funding operations.
Your role is highly transactional, negotiating a wide range of finance documents, often in close cooperation with external international and local legal counsels all over the world. The role has a global cover: from Bangladesh to Kenya, from Mozambique to Peru. You will work together with a variety of professional disciplines in deal teams and advise on the structuring of deals. While protecting FMO’s interests, you negotiate, manage and close these deals pragmatically, with a ‘can do’ attitude. You are a true sparring partner for colleagues and management alike, as well as clients and external lawyers. As senior counsel, you enjoy a large degree of independence, you train and coach colleagues and you implement your initiatives.
More than a Lawyer
FMO’s counsels are ‘More than a Lawyer’. We engage with our clients to ensure they understand both the benefits and the risks of the deal at hand, if needed face-to-face. We also pride ourselves on our innovative and collaborative spirit, continuously improving our service to provide a better and smoother deal for our clients.
- A law degree in Dutch or English law (or a comparable foreign law degree);
- Knowledge of English law and/or the laws of the State of New York is an advantage;
- (At least) 6 years relevant transactional experience in private equity and/or fund management;
- Experience in syndicated lending, PE funds and joint venture transactions is a plus;
- Fluent in English language, both verbally and in writing;
- Fluency in French or Spanish is a great advantage;
- A committed team player with an international attitude, down to earth, pragmatic, pro-active and result-oriented with strong project management and social skills.
What is in it for you?
- Challenging, global work within a highly motivated, diverse and international team;
- Legal work with real impact: making a difference for those who need it most. You help to create jobs, foster inclusive finance, and reduce CO2 emissions and the consequences of climate change;
- A position with work / life balance, with possibilities to work from home up to two days per week;
- A competitive salary and good secondary employment benefits;
- The opportunity to travel and meet the client, on due diligence missions and negotiations;
- Excellent training opportunities, both legal and beyond.
Good to know
We will only consider applications submitted in English, with a motivation letter. It may not surprise you that FMO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes diversity!
Acquisition for this vacancy is not appreciated.
For further information, please contact Jan Job de Vries Robbé , e-mail J.de.Vries.Robbe@fmo.nl.