Investment Officer PE Johannesburg
The Regional Representative Office of FMO for Southern Africa is responsible for the development of our regional strategy and the origination of new client and investee relationships in our three focus sectors: Financial Institutions, Energy and Agribusiness, Food & Water. We aim for transactions with sound financial returns and development impact in line with FMO’s Strategy.
The Regional Representative Office of FMO is a Joint Office with the German private sector development bank DEG. The Joint Office has a team of 18 staff members of which 11 are Investment Officers and we are located in Johannesburg. The FMO team for Southern Africa works closely with our investment teams in The Netherlands.
FMO is the Dutch development bank owned for 51% by the Dutch State and we have an AAA rating from Standard & Poor’s. Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to build a better world. With and investment portfolio of almost EUR 10 bn spanning over 85 countries, FMO is one of the larger bilateral private sector development banks.
FMO is very active in the Private Equity, (“PE”) market in Southern Africa. FMO has seeded several emerging PE fund managers over the years with both generalist and sector-specific mandates. FMO follows a Fund of Funds (“FoF”) model when investing in global emerging markets PE, selecting only the most skilled management teams to execute our PE strategy on our behalf. FMO is seeking to increase its direct equity investment exposure, predominately through co-investment with its existing managers and opportunistically via its own proprietary network.
The Joint Office delivers high quality work and we are proud of our professionalism and teamwork. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Investment Officer in Johannesburg to strengthen it.</p
The activities of the Investment Officer (IO) will be focussed across the geographies in Southern Africa but will include the broader African continent. The IO will report to the Manager of the PE Africa and Latin America team based in the Hague and the Regional Manager of the FMO team in Johannesburg. The role involves deal sourcing, deal structuring and writing investment proposals for both funds and co-investments, as well as overseeing a portfolio of existing investments. The IO will often liaise and discuss potential transactions with the PE team in The Netherlands. We have a small local team and it is important to have a flexible mindset.
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or comparable studies;
- 3 - 7 years’ experience in Private Equity (preferred), or in Corporate Finance or a related discipline with exposure to Private Equity;
- Proven track record in sourcing and structuring investments, writing high quality investment proposals, designing and documenting finance products and managing a portfolio of investments;
- Relationship management experience and in-depth Private Equity knowledge;
- It is an advantage to have experience in dealing with PE stakeholders within the South African market given the need to build and maintain close relationships with Fund Managers based in Johannesburg;
- Existing network in Southern Africa (banks, companies, funds, consultants etc.).
- Knowledge of African Energy and / or FI markets will be an added advantage.
- Self-starter, commercial drive and sound business sense;
- Team player and proactive;
- Able to motivate other colleagues and partners;
- Strong networking, analytical, and communication skills;
- Excellent conversational and writing skills in English. </ul
For further information, please contact Jolanda Breur, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.