Investment Officer Agribusiness, Food and Water (Asia and FOM)
The Agribusiness, Food and Water department (AFW) is looking for a dynamic and service oriented Investment Officer to strengthen the Asia FOM and Forestry team. The team is focusing on the development of the Asian food and agribusiness sectors by financing the expansion of production capacity of large food and agri companies in line with the AFW strategy. In this respect, there is a focus on priority sectors where FMO can make most impact (Inclusive & Green) and have a strong business case. Examples are sugar and rice processing, animal proteins, fertilizer, agro-logistics and agricultural mechanization. Furthermore the Asia team has the mandate to develop Forestry transactions with a focus on Asia and Latin America. Linkages with the Private Equity (PE) department are critical through FMOs investments in funds that focus on sustainable fishing, forestry and to look for opportunities for direct equity investments.
FMO – your preferred partner to invest in local prosperity
By reaching out to underserved markets, FMO invests in some of the world’s most challenging business environments. The countries that we work in often have a fragile private sector, little job security and high poverty rates. Through FMO’s focus on investing in countries’ financial, energy and agri sectors, FMO believes it can have maximum impact to empower the entrepreneurs in developing and emerging countries. FMO has aligned its strategy with the SDGs, thereby positioning FMO to deliver for the future. This strategy aims to raise FMO’s impact, deepen its relationships with clients and stakeholders, and enhance its ability to deliver quality at speed. In this way, FMO will be the preferred partner to invest in local prosperity.
You will support the Senior and Principal Investment Officers in the structuring and execution of new deals and the supervision and monitoring of a client portfolio generally until transactions have been fully disbursed. As IO you are also involved in coaching Associates and Portfolio Analysts in their daily work. You will report to the Manager Asia FOM & Forestry.
Specifically, the scope of work will be as follows:
- Structuring & executing transactions, in collaboration with ESOs/ESAs and other specialists as needed, under the direction of a Principal or Senior Investment Officer;
- Obtains internal approvals, and negotiates legal documentation together with the legal team;
- Refers to the Senior or Principal Investment Officer for possible interesting leads in the network;
- Drafting client account plans and/or country strategy;
- Building strong relationships with clients by understanding their business, the environment they operate in and challenges they face;
- Managing quality and timelines of all internal documents to the designated client portfolio (eg reviews, change and waiver requests, disbursements and watchlist memos).
- Coaches Associates and Portfolio Analysts as required;
- Provides input and feedback to Portfolio Analysts and Associates on credit reviews/investment proposals watchlist proposals, change requests and disbursement memos. </ul
- Master's degree in agro-economics, corporate finance or business administration;
- 4-6 year experience in agribusiness, agro commodity finance or forestry project finance;
- Experience in structuring, executing and managing deals;
- Experience in developing and maintaining a range of (client) networks;
- Experience in emerging markets (ideally Asia);
- Excellent analytical, modelling and problem solving skills at transaction, client and portfolio management level
- Ability to strike the balance between upholding E&S/human rights standards and facilitating transaction
- Displays a strong commercial, service and client orientation; able to persuade & influence a wide range of people;
- Risk aware, while thinking creatively with an entrepreneurial focus;
- Strong skills in planning, organising and prioritising when working on several assignments at the same time/under pressure;
- Ability to work in and support multi-disciplinary teams;
- Strong team player and ability to support and coach colleagues;
- Has good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Is a good organizer and has a critical, yet 'can do', solution-oriented attitude;
- Has proven conversational and writing skills in English and ideally either Spanish (execution of Forestry transactions in Latin America) or Hindu (India portfolio).
What's in it for you?
Besides a competitive salary and secondary benefits, we offer you a job on global scale in a challenging environment. A professional career and all the support you will need for both your professional and personal development. But most of all we offer a truly unique opportunity to make a difference for those who need it most.
Good to know
We will only consider applications submitted via the website in English and accompanied with a motivation letter. </p
For further information, please contact Steven Duyverman, e-mail email@example.com.